Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kim Boske's Decay Can Be Very Slow

I found the work of Dutch photographer Kim Boske today via On Shadow. Her series, Decay Can Be Very Slow, meticulously and convincingly recreates natural history museum still lives. As Boske declares in her statement:

"My work can be described as a body of research in which different moments in time and space run together in a field that seems to embody a determination of time to present proof of it's discrete, unique moments. I create stories that rise around the system of time and space. I'm fascinated by the systems that exist behind the direct surface of the visual world. I see the system of time as a structure that is built up out of smaller differentiated structures. I experience the “now” as a complex collection of all sorts of connected influences from the present and the past; a web of similarities and minute differences caused through the slight moving of time. I portray these different layers of time by carefully assembling visual fragments of narrative elements to create a structure of connections and unity, which I translate into an image. I view my work as constructions in which layers upon layers of ideas take on a meaning of their own. I always search for a harmonious image in which you can discover disharmony without damaging the unity of the image."











All photographs from the series Decay Can Be Very Slow

All Images © Kim Boske