Sunday, January 11, 2009

Susan Worsham's Some Fox Trails In Virginia

Susan Worsham's project Some Fox Trails In Virginia explores the artist's personal and familial history through an examination of objects and spaces once paramount in her life. Returning to photograph the home she grew up in, Worsham's images speak to the prevailing of memory in the face of contextual change. As she asserts in her statement:

"At the age of 34, I came back to Virginia to care for my mother, who died shortly after my return. As the last of my family passed, I turned my lens to old friends, and their new families. I photographed the house in which I grew up. The man that lives there now houses snakes in my father's old office, and rests them in my old bedroom, while he changes their cages. My mother always promised that there were no snakes in my room, and now that she is gone, there are.

These photographs are not meant to be purely autobiographical, but rather representations of how I view things, based on my own experiences, and those of others. My work has always been a metaphor for my own growing up, and the small deaths of childhood innocence that occur on the road to becoming an adult."










From Top To Bottom:

Lively Little Rabbit

Bronze Swans

Untitled

The Beekeeper's Other Daughter

All Images © Susan Worsham